Tuesday, April 29, 2008

IDIOMS COMMONLY MISTRANSLATED
Ako na lang (ang gagawa nyan) = I’ll do it or I’ll take care of it. Or let me do it.
(not * I’ll be the one to do it.)

Bababa ako = I’m getting off (from a vehicle)
(not * I’m going down.)

Mauuna na ako = (Good) bye
(not * I’ll go ahead, which implies that the hearer is expected to follow. The literal translation of the Filipino expression is I’m leaving now before you do. But this is not idiomatic in English.)

May nakaupo ba rito? = Is this seat taken?
(not * Is someone sitting here?)

Nag-commute lang ako = I (just) took the bus/ jeep, or I came by bus/ jeep
(not * I just commuted. Note that the English commute means “ to travel regularly from one place to another, such as from home to school or place of work.)

Noong isang araw = Day before yesterday
(not * the other day, which means “ a few days ago”.)

Sandali lang = Hold your line. Or Hold/ Hang on (when speaking on the phone) or just a second/ minute/ moment
(not * for awhile.)

No comments: